When I was writing my last post about ‘picking the right people’ I realized that saying this is easy. If you want a job done right then hire a professional. Unfortunately not all of us follow this rule all the time (myself included). If it’s a little job and the end result is not as important as we think then we do it ourselves or getting a friend who knows a little bit about it to do it instead of getting a professional.
This is all well and good for most things, unfortunately when it comes to your wedding day or any creative I endeavor where you are spending a lot of time and energy it’s not. Having the right people as part of your team is VITAL to the success of what you are doing, be it a marketing campaign, fundraising event or wedding day.
Now in full disclosure I am mainly a wedding photographer so I’ll be looking at these things from the perspective of weddings in general. But you can apply these to anything out their where you have a team of people involved working towards one goal.
So for part one in this series I’m going to look at Hair & Makeup Artists (HMUA) and why they are so important. For a photographer having a strong HMUA is vital to the success of your shoot. I never really realized how important it was to have a strong HMUA on your team until I began to expand the portrait side of my photography. I’ve had the great fortune that when it came to my weddings all by brides has fantastic HMUA, but when it came to working with models, that was another story. Some had amazing HMUA done, others we’re not as strong. Think of it like this, the difference between a subject that has great HMU vs one who has ok HMU could be the difference between a magazine cover and a Facebook selfie ,if everything else is equal. Now what do the actual pros who do this think? What are their reasons for being a part of our team.
With the amazing help of Calgary hair and makeup artist Michelle Shampaign Boyd of Shampaign Taste Makeup Artistry here is a list of top ten reasons why you should hire a HMUA. Some of these I knew, others were a complete eye opener.
TOP TEN REASONS TO HIRE A PROFESSIONAL HAIR & MAKEUP ARTIST
1. Hiring a makeup artist will allow you to sit back and relax and let someone else pamper you.
2. Makeup artists study the proper selection of colors. Makeup artists know how to choose the colors best for you and your unique coloring
3. Makeup Artists give you access to products that you may not have otherwise.
4. A makeup artist is trained in the art of highlighting your best features and contouring any imperfections.
5. They will know how to fix your brows to best frame your eyes and cover that last minute pimple. Did you know that using a foundation with SPF in it will make you look like a ghost in flash photography?
6. A professional makeup artist will have you looking gorgeous in person and in photographs. Your makeup will be flawless and last all day and night! They can suggest false lashes when your natural ones just won’t cut it, and you will be amazed at how gorgeous you can look.
7. Makeup shows up differently in photos than it does to the naked eye.
8. Looking your absolute best for the camera will make your photos look so much better. If you feel great, you will look great.
9. A professional hairstylist and makeup artist has seen it all: fine hair, limp hair, unmanageable hair. Best of all, we know how to make it look great on you
10. The camera wipes away half of the makeup most women apply.